|Our five mold pieces, slathered with epoxy/talc filler and waiting to be sanded.|
After all the mold pieces are milled, they are glued together. I used gorilla glue, which works pretty well, but takes a while to cure. To hold everything in place while it was curing, I used a few dabs of hot glue, making sure not to let the glue get too hot and melt the foam.
|Starting to put the molds together|
|First few pieces of the nose cone|
|gluing a side panel together|
|finishing the nose cone|
|finishing the other side panel|
Bondo is based off a polyester resin, which eats foam, so we had to make our own body filler with an epoxy base. We used talc as a filler (it's cheap), mixing the two in probably 2:1 ratio (talc:epoxy), mostly by feel until the mixture was a nice, thick paste that didn't run.
|Pieces after the first layer of epoxy|
|After two layers of epoxy|
|Sanded piece next to unsanded piece|
|After milling all the foam pieces. We filled up our big trash can 4+ times with foam when cleaning the garage.|
|Garage after cleaning. This is a rare view of the garage.|