|Rear wing put together|
More pictures and process discussion after the jump.
We had all the parts already at the beginning of the week, but there was still a lot of prep work that had to be done before the entire wing could be put together. First, both wing sections needed some trimming and sanding to make sure the mating interfaces were clean. Also, I had accidentally forgotten to cut the second element to length before we put the aluminum endplates on (oops), so we had to cut the second element in two places to remove some length. Basically, we kept the endplate section, cut out some more of the wing, and hot glued the two parts back together (they will get attached via carbon fiber later). Also, the mounts had to be epoxied on, and the rear wing mounts also had to be reinforced with aluminum plates (since the mounts are ABS plastic from the rapid prototyper)
|Aero actuator mount epoxied on|
|The plates were CNC milled. They were epoxied onto the RP sections|
|Putting down a strip of CF to reinforce the cut|
We then cut strips of carbon fiber, used spray adhesive to hold them in place, and epoxied everything together.
|Laying down strips of carbonfiber|
|Actuator and actuator rod attached|
|Aero controller sitting in (half) its case|