|image shamelessly stolen from Jalopnik|
I'll detail the issues we've run into so far after the jump. Luckily, we haven't run into any showstoppers yet, and the areas that I thought would be the main problem areas are looking good so far.
First, we had a couple of engine mounting issues. These were small, but almost ended up being showstoppers. The first is shown in the picture below:
For most of these issues, I had a contingency plan. For this one, I didn't. The reason? Simply that I didn't notice the issue when I was designing the car. It does fit in CAD (barely - minimum clearance is 0.08"), but not in real life. Note to next year's team: leave a bit more clearance than I did... especially where your models are not so great.
Another issue that can't really be dealt with in CAD easily is the issue of getting the engine in and out of the frame. In our case this year, we can slide the engine straight forward, past the main roll hoop, and pop it out through the bottom. However, with engine mounts in place, that can be tricky or impossible. See the picture below:
Another stupid mistake on my part:
And now for the big issue... the rear of the frame. This was one area where fitment would be critical, and it did not end up matching the CAD at all. It was a particularly difficult design to eyeball, and next time, I would say provide a welding jig/fixture to place those tubes accurately.